Did you know that just 30 minutes of physical activity a day can make a big difference to your health – yet only a quarter of us are doing this…?
Age & Opportunity Active is the National Programme for Sport and Physical Activity for Older People, funded by Sport Ireland and the HSE. The programme is designed to get us more active and participating in recreational sport and physical activity.
We run a range of initiatives including:
- our very popular PALs (Physical Activity Leaders) training – suitable for anyone interested in leading physical activity initiatives in their community;
- CarePALs training – for those working or volunteering in care settings to lead suitable physical activities with people in their care;
- FitLine – a telephone mentoring service that encourages participants to start getting more active.
People always say that ‘you’re only as old as you feel’. Well, it turns out to be true. Science has proven that staying active keeps your body younger and your mind happier, no matter what it says on your birth cert. Being active can help your body to stay strong and supple improve balance and coordination aiding in falls prevention A healthy mind and body can help fight off colds and infections and many common illnesses. Exercise keeps you sharp and, best of all, it cheers you up and boosts your energy.
Being active just 30 minutes a day can offer you a range of benefits including:
- Better balance
- Greater range of movement
- Better strength
- Stay healthier
- Be more content
- Increase energy levels
- Increased social connection
- Prevent Falls